Veterinary Nursing opportunities in Vancouver, Canada!
If you’ve graduated from a Veterinary Nursing program and you have a desire to live abroad, Vancouver is the place for you! We are looking for Full-time Veterinary Nurses with a passion for animals to join us.
Located on Canada’s West Coast, Vancouver is among Canada’s most vibrant and culturally diverse cities. Renowned for its spectacular setting nestled between towering mountains and the Pacific Ocean, the city consistently ranks in the top five most livable cities in the world.
Located 20 minutes from downtown Vancouver, Canada West Veterinary Specialists is a 24/7 Emergency and Referral veterinary hospital with a team of over 150 women and men dedicated to providing exceptional care to every patient we see. We have been in operation for over twenty years and hold a variety of unique designations including being a Level 1 Certified Animal Emergency Facility and Canada’s first Veterinary trauma centre. We have 7 specialty departments, including Emergency and Critical Care, Neurology, Diagnostic imaging, Surgery, Oncology, Internal medicine, with added services of Rehabilitation therapy and an in-house lab.
With a team of just over 160 staff members we are a group of dedicated and diverse individuals passionate about working together to provide the best patient care and client satisfaction.
Our hospital is well versed in assisting talented individuals from outside of Canada with the immigration process and obtaining the necessary work permits in Canada and will work directly with you through the process. We will also cover the costs of the visa application for candidates who accept an offer of employment from us.
JOIN US? Although a busy hospital we take pride in our staff and focus on providing a safe and fun place to build a career.
- We grow together with our monthly in-house Continuing Education presentations
- Subsidized extended health benefits
- 3 paid sick days per year
- Uniform allowance
- Wellness Spending account
- We believe in your well-being and provide a company sponsored Employee Assistance Program (EAP) enabling access to caring professionals that can help access support related to fitness, physical health and mental well-being programs.
- We provide employer paid Pet insurance to our employees.
- We believe in recognizing our staff with an anniversary recognition program.
- We have a profit-sharing program to recognize our staff’s contributions for our success.
- We have fun together with our hospital sponsored social events like; having Food Trucks visit us onsite, Halloween pumpkin carving contests, Annual Christmas Party, Pub Nights, etc.
The Position: This position is primarily responsible for patient care including following treatment plans, administration of drugs, monitoring for vital signs and over-all patient assessment. Client communication is an integral part of this role and both communication and hands-on patient care is under the direct supervision of the Specialist and or the Hospitalist on the case. This position is a part of group of Veterinary Technicians working on a rotating schedule to cover all hours of the hospital’s operation.
An ideal candidate would be available to work rotational shifts including weekends, nights, & overnights, have a can-do attitude and passion for animal care.
Work Location/Business Address: 1988 Kootenay Street, Vancouver. V5M 4Y3.
Telephone: 604-473-4882 | Fax: 604-473-4898
Schedule A – Job Description
Position: Veterinary Technician
Reports to: Technician Supervisor
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent.
Salary: $26.00-$35.00 CAD per hour
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Must develop a thorough understanding of all common drugs/medications used, procedures and protocols within the Wards and ICU, as well as the ability to use all equipment safely and effectively
- Directly monitor, carry out treatments and procedures, ensure patient comfort and document care for patients so that accurate medical records are maintained and accurate invoicing can be done
- In addition to written records, ensures that pertinent information and observations relating to patient care is provided to the next shift during oral rounds.
- Carry out communication with; primary Doctor, Hospitalist regarding patient status updates, and alert of any changes or concerns. And Participate in communication with Clients.
- Calculates, dispenses and administers medications at the direction of the Specialist on the case.
- Perform technical nursing skills such as: IV catheter placement, blood collection, urine collection (cystocentesis, catheterization), taking radiographs, etc.
- Ensures supply inventory is sufficient to meet the demands of work area, and that that the work area is kept clean and organized.
- Ensures that all equipment is properly maintained documented and any concerns are reported.
- Responsible for coordinating breaks and delegating appropriate tasks to Patient Care Assistants on shift.
- Facilitate a positive work environment.
- Actively participates in all offered in house CE
- Performs other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Has a strong knowledge and understanding of normal vital parameters, and the ability to recognize changes and or abnormalities.
- A strong knowledge of asepsis
- Strong mathematics skills (drug dose calculations, CRI’s, dilutions)
- A strong desire to learn and to excel within the profession
- Ability to stay calm to recognize and establish priorities and execute patient triage at all times.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work with little or no supervision when necessary and ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills, computer and phone skills
- High level of professionalism
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited program for Veterinary Technologists
- Registered Veterinary Technology designation preferred
- Demonstrated skills, experience and training that would qualify the individual for a position of responsibility
- Completed AHT Program
- Sedation and/or General Anesthesia experience preferred
HOURS OF WORK
Our Technicians work typically 4 days a week, 10.5 hour days, but may be scheduled to work 5 days a week, 8.5 hour shifts in accordance with hospital need.
The typical start times for shifts are:
Days: 5:00 am – 3:30 pm
Evenings: 3:00 pm – 1:30 am
Overnights: 9:00 pm – 7:30 am
(These are general guidelines only – shift start and end times vary)
Veterinary Nurse Jobs and
Veterinary Nurse Locums |
Follow VN Jobs on Facebook | Linkedin | Twitter | Contact
Contact us for more information about the advertising and editorial opportunities on VetNurse.co.uk
Veterinary Forums | Veterinary Nursing News | Veterinary Galleries
Anaesthesia & Analagesia | Animal Behaviour | Dentistry | Dermatology | Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging | Equine Nursing | Exotics | Emergency & Critical Care | Lab/Clinical Pathology | Medical Nursing | Physiotherapy | Surgical Nursing | Wound Management